Pet Owner Resources
Helpful Links for The Pet Vet on Patton Clients in Buncombe County
- Asheville Humane Society – Under contract with Buncombe County and the City of Asheville, Asheville Humane Society’s animal care professionals operate the Buncombe County Animal Shelter, the safety net for any lost, abandoned, or relinquished companion animal in Buncombe County. After 72 hours or less in the county shelter, all other costs of housing, evaluating, treating, rehabilitating, feeding, fostering, publicizing, and preparing an animal for adoption are paid by Asheville Humane Society with privately raised funds.
- Brother Wolf – Brother Wolf Animal Rescue is known for their excellence in matching people with the best dog or cat that would suit their lifestyle.
They are wonderful dogs, cats, kittens and puppies who have ended up homeless through no fault of their own.
- Blue Ridge Humane Society – The Blue Ridge Humane Society, established in 1950 is a limited admission nonprofit 501(c)3 animal welfare organization committed to quality shelter care, treatment of our charges, and to advocacy for spay/neutering throughout Henderson County.
- Pet Insurance Review – All pet insurance is not the same. Some insurance plans cover accidents to your pet, but not illnesses. Some plans cover treatment for cancer, some don’t. It can be confusing, so you will need to do some research
Pet Health, Pet Behavior & Pet Info Sites
- American Animal Hospital Association
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges
- Association of American Feed Control Officials
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- United States Pharmacopeia
- American Kennel Club
- International Cat Care
- US FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Southern Veterinary Partners
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
- Companion Animal Parasite Council
- Clean Run - Agility Information
- Assisted Living for Seniors with Pets
- CDC Rabies Information
- CDC Zoonotic Diseases
- Pet Health Network – Find answers about your pet.
- Veterinary Oral Health Council – Pet dentistry information.
- APHIS Pet Travel – Basic information on domestic and international travel of pets by the US Department of Agriculture.
- Veterinary Information Network – This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine.
- Humane Society of the United States – Promotes the protection of all animals. Here you will find many wonderful animal-related stories and information on pet care, pet adoption, and animal welfare issues.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences – Search a toxic plant database.
- ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center – For any animal poison-related emergency or if worried your pet ate something toxic.
- Pets & Parasites – Recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of parasite infections.
- Heartworm Society – Learn more about deadly heartworms and what you can do to protect your pet.
- The ASPCA – Exists to promote humane principles, prevent cruelty and alleviate fear, pain, and suffering in animals.
- Dog Owner's Guide – This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association – This website provides pictures and information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and more.
- HomeAgain & AKC Reunite Microchips & PetLink – Register & update your pet’s microchip information.
- Rainbow Bridge – A Grief Support Community for those who are hurting from the death of a beloved pet.
Please note, The Pet Vet on Patton provides these pet resources as information only - we do not recommend nor are we affiliated with these organizations or websites. Always call us with questions.